is claimed that the Longobards
built the original fortress on
the rock. It was destroyed in
590 and then rebuilt by them.
Following the Hungarians’
invasion, it became part of the
Verona bishops’ feud and then
belonged to the Scaligeri family
from 1277 to 1387, from whom it
got its present name. Up to 1403
it was in the hands of the
Visconti family and from 1405 to
1797 it was part of the
Serenissima, with the exception
of ten years starting from 1506.
The French owned it during
Napoleon’s times and the
Austrians, who actually carried
out some consistent renovation
work, from 1798 to 1866. On
August 22nd, 1902 the castle was
declared a national monument.
Today the castle is a museum
where the visitor can find
examples of Monte Baldo’s
natural treasures along with
exhibitions mainly dedicated to
Lake Garda, but also by painters
and sculptors from Verona. Next
to the castle a big tent was set
up to host various shows that
range from opera to blues music,
along with theatre plays.